Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Weekly Scribblings #18: Art (and turmoil, it seems) Begets Art

Greetings, inkers of lived words. I hope everyone is doing as well as they can. Things around my bit of New York City have been quiet. Well, except at 7 in the evening, when most New Yorkers follow in the steps of Spain, Italy and the U.K., and explode in cheers for the heroes risking the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic. I didn’t always join the expressive shouts of support (I might’ve thought them to be a tad silly, even annoying). Then, the other day, I saw an EMT team step out of their ambulance and take a quick bow. The smiles on their faces were... splendorous. Since that day, I have screamed (even whistled) as loudy and exuberantly as all the rest (while remembering those warm smiles).

I guess, some good things have sprouted out of these horrible times. One of them is inspiration to create all sorts of reactive, rebellious, informative, therapeutic… arts (not that we would know a thing about that *cough*). Keeping in mind the thought that Art Begets Art, for our 18th Weekly Scribblings, I invite you to birth new poetry or prose inspired by Pandemic Street Art from around the world.


For inspiration, Im offering these pieces borrowed from Atlas Obscura and a rather provocative bit of advice from the NYC Health Department. But please, feel free to surf for something different, if none of the offerings speak to you (do let us know/see which piece(s) inspired your contribution. And if you choose to create prose, let your word count be 369 words or fewer).

Add the direct link to your contribution to Mr. Linky. This prompt will remain open for a week. Visit other poets and storytellers. See what their muses birthed out of other muses’ children. Let them know what their inked-offspring make you feel.

As always, stay safe (and healthily creative).

10 comments:

  1. An interesting prompt! The masked lovers risking a kiss caught my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot to inspire in the imagery, that's for sure.

      Delete
    2. It did the same for me, Rosemary. Also, what Rommy said. I think that image could fuel a rather interesting philosophical discussion for hours.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for todays prompt. A creative and safe Wednesday everyone

    MuchπŸ’›πŸŒπŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Gillena. And right back at you.

      Delete
  3. So, I am late to my own party, but... better late than never, right?

    Thank you in advance for your contributions. Now, to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the pictures (Particularly the middle one) but found another one that inspired. Sorry I haven't been around as much. Trying to get back into the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting prompt! That third one is particularly so, especially since my friends got married two weeks ago. It was a tiny wedding outside, and everyone was far apart and wearing masks. When it was time for the couple to kiss, they could hardly wait! πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the wedding pictures are extra interesting!

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.