Sunday, March 22, 2020

Writers' Pantry #12: You Gotta Know When to Hold 'Em

Hello word artists and admirers! I just want to take a moment honor the memory of the recently departed Kenny Rodgers. His songs often felt like combinations of poetry and storytelling, especially his most famous one. When I read about his passing earlier this weekend, I thought about the way they moved me when I was a kid and influenced me in ways I hadn't thought of.


Before we play our cards this week, let's take care of a bit of housekeeping:

- Rosemary has collected some savory samplings of poetry around the idea of Addressing the Darkness in her latest Wild Fridays: Words from the Community post. Stop by, drink in the word offerings, and share a wild word or two of your own in the comments section.

- This coming Wednesday, Magaly invites us to write new poetry or prose which includes the words, “She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.” Use the sentences at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end of your entry. Use them consecutively or in separate paragraphs or stanzas. All forms and genres are welcomed. 

So my fellow word enthusiasts, it's time to set out your bits of poetry or prose on the table. Please show us your hand--both old and new, fiction and non-fiction pieces are welcome, one per person. But if you are adding prose to the pot, please keep it to 369 words or fewer.


24 comments:

  1. Great song. I love that you have paid tribute to Kenny. I too listened to him when younger. He knew how to touch the heart, and at the same time his genial personality left one with a feeling of warmth ... as remembering him still does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that introduced my kids to Kenny yet. They definitely know Dolly. I think it's time for music lessons while we're in quarantine. :D

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, an American great. RIP Kenny.
    Right, mine's up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spread goodwill and let it go viral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences to the family of Kenny Rogers. I am a fan.
    Wishes for a happy healthy Sunday to all at the Pantry

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy and healthy and Sunday to you too!

      Delete
  5. What a week! I guess we all have our own stories to share.

    The news of Kenny's death was pushed way down. As someone pointed out to me, there is a line from the Gambler song about dying in his sleep and that was they way he went. Surrounded by family as he peacefully passed.

    I am way behind in my reading and I hope to get to as many as I can today before life/work again regains my attention. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read that too. Glad it was a peaceful passing.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the song, Rommy. May he rest in peace, singing for angels (and for us, too).

    Happiest reading, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing one of my favorite Kenny songs! Now I'm off to look for some poetic diversion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going outside for a walk in our tiny neighbor neighborhood and thinking of all the good still in this world. Take friends and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your walk is rejuvenating and soothing.

      Delete
  9. Hi everyone! Hope all are well in the world of social distancing. I shared the beginning of a story I am writing for my Twila Series

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone, I've had a cold and felt a bit down with everything going on, but today I managed to get back to writing and feel better for it. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good afternoon, bards! Thanks, Rommy, for hosting Writers' Pantry! Enjoy the day, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.