Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Weekly Scribblings #72: Unusual, Uncommon, Uncanny

Greetings, poets and storytellers. I hope Wednesday is being good to you. I was just cleared to get back on my trampoline, do calisthenics, and strength training, so I guess my Wednesday is starting great (and promises to end with a significant amount of welcomed and missed muscular soreness). I’ve missed regular exercise almost as much as I’ve missed regular (and deliciously long) writing sessions. What have you missed?  

Today’s prompt wasn’t inspired by things I’ve missed, but by words I love. If you have read me for a while, you probably already noticed my overuse of words like weird and peculiar and strange. I am not even exactly sure why I like those words so much; perhaps it’s because I’m a bit weird, and a tad peculiar, and a lot strange. Something for me to think about… someday… maybe…

At this moment, for our 73rd Weekly Scribblings, I just wish to invite you to write poetry or prose which includes one (or all three) of the following words: unusual, uncommon, uncanny. You are welcomed to choose your own topic, genre, form… But your contribution must include at least one of the words.  

This prompt will stay open for a week. One link per participant, please. If you go for prose, the word count should be 369 words or fewer. Also, previously written pieces (that have been meaningfully rewritten) are welcomed. Let us delight in words. 


12 comments:

  1. Magaly, I like Freud's thoughts of 'Uncanny". If I followed his thinking then possibly my write might contain that idea in print. Of course he didn't get to experience the virtual world, that uncanny feeling exists there also. Virtual kidnapping and ransom demands would have been uncanny for his brain as it existed then. Nice word study for us, thank you.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the uncanny can be found everywhere, Jim. And often, especially in some of the examples you've listed, in a terrifying ways. I wonder if what Kubrick means is that the uncanny can be explored more safely in the horror genre.

      Delete
  2. Those words slipped easily into a poem which arrived unprompted a couple of days ago, putting the finishing touches on it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoooHooo! Can't wait to read it. I love poems that seem to spill (even burst) out of our fingertips.

      Delete
  3. Luv these words, they spell today
    Happy Wednesday everyone, Stay Safe.

    Much🌷love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you do, Gillena. And I think you're right.

      Happy readings!

      Delete
  4. This had me thinking of "un" words like unlikely, unkind, uninformed, and .... well, you get the idea! Anyway, like Rosemary, it was easy to slip one of your words into a new poem written this week. It's a rainy Wednesday in my world....looks like God's doing his laundry! Have a good day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev. I'm glad the prompt was easy. Easy is good every now and again.

      We had rain for three or four days. Now the sun is back!

      Delete
  5. A bit of humor this beautiful summery Wednesday ... in Scribbling Land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delicious hoot! Thank you, Helen. A little of mirth (or a lot of cackling) is always welcomed in my heart.

      Delete
  6. Sorry! Late to the party. Several doctor’s appointments. This one also took a while to write. Be forewarned, it is dark — part of my new adult “Tieke Series” of SciFi and PsychThrillers. This one was inspired by the TV series “Clarice”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Rob. It seems that these days my medical appointments multiply when I'm not looking.

      I'm looking forward to reading your contribution--Clarice has become a new favorite for me.

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.