Sunday, May 30, 2021

Writers' Pantry #72: Oh, I Will Walk 500 Miles...

Hello, Word Artists and Admirers! Over the holidays my parents gave my husband and I one of those gadgets that track your steps among other things. I had only been half-heartedly monitoring my daily steps for a while, but I had a couple of periods of high slugdom during the last couple of months, and the weather is getting nicer. So I’m trying to be more deliberate about hitting the 10,000 step mark.

You’d think having a dog makes this easier, but my pupper lives life in slug mode. I often find myself having to take extra walks after he’s done walking (and taking twice as many steps in half the time). But the really nice thing is that my husband, who has been very good about walking all this time, is often willing to be my walking buddy when I need it. Anybody else making more of an effort to move more?


Looking forward to the week ahead, when Magaly will invite us to write poetry or prose which includes one (or all 3) of the following words: unusual, uncommon, uncanny. You are welcomed to choose your own topic, genre, form… But your contribution must include at least one of the words.

Now it’s time to show how you’ve flexed your writing muscles this week and share your pieces. I’m taking new and old pieces, poetry and prose, fiction and non fiction. One piece per person and please keep your prose pieces to 369 words or fewer.


16 comments:

  1. I'm walking a lot more since I got a Mickey at the beginning of April. He's 7 months old. Not fast walks of course, dogs like to sniff! But, more than I did before, which was barely any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my dog is older and he often interrupts his walks to rest on nearby grass, especially if there's a passerby. He knows that anyone saying something to the effect of, "What a cute corgi!" will likely stop to rub his belly if he plays his cards right. He's shameless!

      Delete
  2. Walking is lovely. But we had months of heavy rain at the start of the year, so on my physiotherapist's advice I bought myself a little pedalling gadget which I can sit in front of me while I watch TV. It's a little bit like riding a bike, only there's no bike. I can be a couch potato and do exercise at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting a lot of rain here too, but I've got comfy boots. Though that pedaling gadget sounds really cool!

      Delete
  3. I've been ignoring regular walks since the beginning of 2021. That will soon change as I begin a new job in the countryside soon. Here's looking forward to catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the new job is fulfilling and your walking views are refreshing.

      Delete
  4. Got my first Jab on Wednesday second is due in 2 weeks time. Happy Sunday everyone
    Stay Safe

    much 💜 love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day, poets!
    i have been doing a lot of walking, and running lately, despite the pandemic. i go out at night when there are not many people. i uses an app on the phone, and easily clocks 10K steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I can usually hit 7,000. 8,000 doesn't usually require too much work, but 10,000 demands just a little more discipline without feeling over the top.

      Delete
  6. I published "Walk On" last week .... kind of fits today's 'Poets and Storytellers' walking theme! Happy Weekend everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started to walk more. And also recently got a new pedometer. I don't wear it all day, and have yet to set any step goals. Maybe in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't walk so fast anymore so I don't go so far. My spinal orthopedic doctor, when he dismissed me, directed me to walk 30 minutes five days a week. On that same day Mrs. Jim's gynecologist in a telephone reporting call gave her the same directions. I used to run several miles and also walked my Adi Girl beagle dog.
    I am writing today In honor of Mrs. Jim's brother who was killed in WWII. I tell a bit of that.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.