Sunday, October 24, 2021

Writers’ Pantry #93: NaNoWriMo Anyone?

Greetings, dear poets and storytellers. I hope you had a good week and a better weekend. Around my bit of the world, things are getting coolersomething my hot flashes and I have been celebrating. There are so many things to like about this time of year. And not just when it comes to temperatures, but also when it comes to writing. If you are one of those mythological ink slingers with the discipline to complete a 50K word manuscript in 30 days, then November is your month. Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year? I am not.

I don’t think I have what it takes to participate in NaNoWriMo, not properly. I could write every day for a month. But as much as I love discussing words and writing with other writers, chatting about what I have written and posting my progress is beyond me. I tried it once, and got sick of it after a few days. I will try to work every day on my current work in progress, but that’s as far as I’ll go.

On a note a bit closer to home, this is our penultimate Writers’ Pantry before we transition to one post per week (on Fridays). Rosemary will host the last Writers’ Pantry on October 31st. Rommy will be hosting the last Weekly Scribblings next week, and as our last Wednesday prompt, she will ask us to “write about something we really enjoyed in childhood – a toy, a book, a place, a movie – anything that held a place in your heart back then.”

By the way, my darling writers, if you ever get the urge to post midweek and want a prompt, I suggest you try The Twiglets (Tuesdays), The Whirligig (Wednesday), or Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie (they offer prompts every day of the week).

But today is for the Pantry! So, lets share prose or poetry. Let your contributions be new or old, short or longish (if going for prose, the word count should be 369 words or fewer). One link per participant. Visit other writers. Delight in their words. Tell them about said delight.



20 comments:

  1. Thanks, Magaly. Ha, I once did NaNoWriMO. Getting to be quite a few years back now. I had fun, got fatter, finished the right number of words –and confirmed that I am no novelist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, finished the right number of words once, but they were not exactly great words *cough*. Now I'm wondering if the ordeal affected my waistline or not. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Andrew was alive then. He took over most of the housework, and kept up a supply of coffee and chocolates to keep me awake to write. I'm sure it was the chocolate that did it – that and sitting at my desk for so many hours every day.

      Delete
  2. NaNoWriMo Anyone? I assume the pros outweigh the cons but not for me, thanks. :) Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't alone in your assumption, methinks. May your Sunday be glorious!

      Delete
  3. Ah for changes: thanks for the heads up.
    Thanks hyperlinks to other prompt sites were we to broaden horizons

    much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day, Poets & Storytellers!
    No NaNoWriMo for me! Guess don't have that stamina. Yet.
    However i am seriously considering writing a short story for the 2022 Commonwealth Short Story Prize. I can handle 2K (min) to 5K (max) words. And the prize money is quite eye-watering. But i still have no idea of what to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. NaNoWriMo's pressure isn't for me either. The intent is good--writing every day is a very good thing. But I don't enjoy the constant buzz. I enjoy reading what others write, but I don't always write well with others.

      Best of lucky with the short story event. I know you can do it! I don't know what sort of stories they are looking for, but I always enjoy your poems that explore your relationship with your family and with your city. I think those would make a great story.

      Delete
  5. Morning writers! I am sharing poetry today with The Sunday Musers! No thirty day commitments for me, I barely escaped with my sanity this past April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. That much anxiety isn't good for our health, or for other people's survival. 😁

      Delete
  6. Oh, no, not me! It's enough to do a poem a day in April, without the stress of an entire coherent novel! I didn't know you had to share progress, that would put me off completely, even if I weren't inclined to do it already. Wednesday's prompt sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only two left. Thought I’d join in… Happy Sunday sll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, only this Writers' Pantry and then one more. But after that, we'll still have Fridays.

      Delete
  8. I'm a little late to the party with another day at the farm(ish).

    I don't think I could do the NaNoWriMo as I get interrupted with other things too often. As in last week I spent two days getting my son's sewer line cleared out. It's not that I like to get my hands dirty but if I can save him a few thousand dollars, I'll do it.

    I have a presentation this week at our local library on Wednesday (I'll write of the details on my next piece) - wish me luck!

    Cheers to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son is very lucky. And you are a great that. That's a sensible reason not to do NaNoWriMo.

      Can't wait to read about your presentation!

      Delete
    2. Good luck,Joel! Though I think anyone as resourceful as you hardly needs it. I too will eagerly await details of your presentation.

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.