Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Weekly Scribblings #91: Personal Symbols (and Changes to P&SU)

Greetings, my dearest poets and storytellers. It’s Magaly here, feeling a bit loopy (after yet another medical procedure), but also feeling hopeful and rested (after having slept 13 glorious hours). Speaking of 13, since I have been fond of the number 13 for a very long time, I thought the 13th of October would be a perfect day to inform you of changes Rommy, Rosemary, and I have planned for the Poets and Storytellers United blog.

The Change: Starting on Sunday, October 31st Friday, November 5th, P&SU’s Weekly Scribblings and Writers’ Pantry will merge into one and become Sunday Scribblings a single event. This means that we will go from two posts a week to one. Our new, weekly prompts will give participants the chance to respond to a specific prompt or to share new or old poetry or prose of their choosing.

So, there you have it. Everything else shall remain as it has been. We’ll continue to share our words. We’ll just have a whole week to delight in each other’s contributions before a new prompt is posted.

And now, for my last Weekly Scribblings, I invite you to write poetry or prose inspired by a personal symbol, or a thing that represents or stands for something else, especially a material object or an action representing something abstract to you (i.e., luck, remembrance…). For example, Serena Williams has a lucky pair of socks; Helen Mirren has a lucky pair of shoes; Benicio del Toro wears a ring with a wooden core so he can always knock on wood whenever needed; and I use 13 as often as possible, for luck and for centering.

This prompt will remain open for a week. We welcome fiction and nonfiction, short and long(ish) pieces—if you go for prose, let the word count be 369 words or fewer. Please add the direct link to your contribution. And after you share your words, remember to visit other writers and let them know what their words did for you. Significantly rewritten poetry and prose are also welcomed.


And writers are Nature, speaking (in ink).

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting, Magaly, and for alerting people to our upcoming change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magaly, you made us look for a jackpot. Most all of us have one or a few to find. Writing about it can even make it more precious. At least give it some mind for a change.
    I love writing a post, poems are fun, midweek. I generally don't write for the Pantry or even post because of time restraints. I write a Friday post on my other active blog, it is journal and meme like. That one is wearing down, I may drop out of it due to the thinning of group members there. If so I will find a similar one as at least two times as many readers as I have here read it, in the twenties, sometimes 30's. These don't leave comments hardly ever, they are family, friends, old blogging friend dropouts, Facebook friends (they sometimes comment if I have pulled their chains really hard).
    I have been posting for the Sunday Muse quite a while for weekends.
    It's your group's world and things change but I will be sorry to see the Midweek friend go. I have enjoyed writing for this group, thank you guys for hosting and making me feel comfortable. I know I am not a real poet amongst published writers but still you accept me.
    Thank you,
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you are a real poet, Jim! You really write poems, don't you? You don't have to write on Sunday; you could respond to the post on another day of the week, even Wednesday, and there would still be time for people to see it and you to see theirs.

      Delete
    2. Jim, like Rosemary said, publication has very little to do with who is a writer or a poet. Don't set yourself short. One of the things I love most about this community is that it is an easy place to be in. We belong here.

      On the topic of days for posting, how would you feel about a Friday prompt/post instead of Sundays?

      Delete
    3. That might do. The group I write with on Fridays is about to run out. I could write open without a prompt any day of the week and post it on the weekend day.
      It will work out, always does.
      ..

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting us today Magaly

    MUCH❤LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...no more random linking, but linking only to address a specific prompt? Ah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, dear MMT, you seem to have misunderstood. From 31st October, you will be able to write to and link to EITHER a specific prompt OR an 'open' choice, ON THE SAME DAY. Up to you on any day, which one it will be. I'll go into more detail about it next Wednesday.

      Delete
    2. Ah...I'm relieved! Thanks for the clarification, Rosemary. :)

      Delete
    3. MMT, thank you for asking! I, too, would be disappointed if we didn't have an open/random link. And thank you for responding promptly, Rosemary. These things can be so confusing.

      Delete
  5. If I understand correctly, scribblings will still be welcome, just not limited to Wednesday. I've always enjoyed prosery and storytelling as well as poetry, and I'm just grateful to have a place for all! Since I co-administer two art challenge sites, I am well aware of the time and effort expended to keep a challenge running. We appreciate you three immensely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Bev! We aren't losing a choice, just offering our two existing choices on the same day. Thanks a million for recognizing the effort. We appreciate you and your words right back!


      Delete
  6. Oh, dear, change. I'll adapt, and having one day to post either with the prompt or what we want will be nice. I hope I don't use it as an excuse to only write half as much! I wrote for the prompt today, but it ended up much too long, so I didn't link it. It's amazing how long prose is when you don't watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the change is not very disruptive, and that we continue writing just as much. Not writing shan't be allowed! đŸ˜œ

      The same thing happened to me last week. I didn't have time to trim it, so ended up posting something else.

      Delete
    2. There's always the option to divide a prose piece into two parts and post on consecutive occasions.

      Delete
  7. I shall see you all at Sunday Scribblings.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Khaya. In the light of Jim's comment, we're reconsidering Sunday. Perhaps Friday after all. Stay tuned for updates.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, ladies, for steering the ship thus far. Perhaps it's time to slow down a wee bit and enjoy the breeze and that sunrise.
    i would still be on the cruise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.