Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Weekly Scribblings #24: When All Else Fails…

There I was, waiting to get tested for COVID-19 (in my wee bit of New York, all patients must get tested before every medical appointment, so… the back of throat and I are nearly becoming used to getting scraped by Q-tips on a regular basis). Anyway, there I was, waiting to gag again, when I heard someone say, “When all else fails, I look up and hope not to get a face full of pigeon shit.”

Since I have the self-control of a toddler, I burst into wild cackles. Then, the individual hoping not to have to face pigeon poop began to laugh too. After a few seconds, everyone trying to stay six feet apart on the hospital parking lot joined the roaring. And because small magics spread like wild fire, we all shared sensible and half-insane versions of “When all else fails, I…”

It was a good moment, a bunch of strangers speaking nonsense and seriousness and laughing together. So, last week, when I had to give Rommy my topic for today’s Weekly Scribblings, I wondered if we could have a similar moment together from a distance.     

With that in mind, I invite you to write poetry or prose where speakers or characters (or us, in the case of Slices of Life) fill in the blank in the phrase “When all else fails, I _____”. You are not required to make the actual words/phrase part of our contribution. I would just like for your new poem or prose piece to be about what happens right after all else fails. Be funny. Be serious. The choice is always yours.

Add the direct link to your poetry or prose to Mr. Linky. One entry per participant. If you choose prose, please keep the count to 369 words or fewer. This prompt will remain open for a week. Do visit other poets and storytellers. And stay safe.


19 comments:

  1. Laughter is the best medicine, and I'm laughing right along with you. I could repost your image and it would work equally well for me. I'd just need to add swim and play piano and it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Laughter is magic we can share. And I'm smiling from ear to ear at the idea of swimming and piano music.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a great challenge .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great challenge (and fun story). I can't wait to hear what everyone does to decompress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...later than I'd like to be, but I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you and I were surfing similar waves of tardiness today, I shan't criticize. 😁

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Magaly, for a great prompt. I've enjoyed all the reading – but cannot find a way to comment on Hazel's blog, which is frustrating. (Not unless I rejoin twitter, which I don't intend.) Posting this here just in case she happens to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same issue with Hazel’s site. And I don’t plan to join Twitter. :/

      Delete
    2. Same here. I couldn't see how to leave a comment.

      Delete
    3. Hoping she does look because I enjoyed this line so much: 'when all else fails, I turn to inspiration from the scientific. There’s no plan to complicate life further with anything difficult to grasp.'

      Delete
    4. I tried messaging here via her Contact for, but it isn't working.

      Delete
  6. Love the prompt..Mine is a bit bright a bit dark humor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to play with dirt. If only I'm not stuck in a drab metropolis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand—I live in New York City—so, I play with dirt in pots. 😊

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.