Friday, July 12, 2024

Friday Writings #135: Less is More

 

 

G’day again dear Word Weavers. 

I wrote most of this post ahead of time, but now have come down with the dreaded COVID. As some of you may well know, it isn't fun! But I am doing all the things I should and have good friends to go shopping for me etc. And Magaly has kindly agreed to do the hosting for me here, this time.

In other news, I’ve been revising some of my not-quite-working poems by seeing what I can usefully take out of them. ‘Cut and clean up’ one of my friends calls this method of working on her own poems. (In my case, it might sometimes be more like slash and burn!) 

In the far past I've been known to chop up poems manually, with scissors, for deletions or rearrangements. Luckily it's much easier digitally now.

 

 (Photo mine.)

 

Recently, in some cases I’ve been applying the erasure technique to my own poems, taking rather large chunks out of them; sometimes ending up with quite fragmentary results, which nevertheless work, and work better than the original. There are indeed times when ‘less is more.’

Your optional prompt this week
is to take one of your poems or stories and turn it into a new piece of writing by removing some words and/or sections. It could be a series of tweaks or a full-scale erasure; up to you, so long as ‘less is more.' (You might like to leave a link to the original too, or include it in your post.)


Guidelines:

You may write to the prompt or ignore it.
You may share poetry or prose, new or old.
One post per person, please, 369 words maximum (excluding title).
Link to that post in Mister Linky below.
 
Please, if possible, read other people’s posts too and leave them some encouraging comments. Also we welcome comments below if there’s anything you’d like to say to the group or the team.

Next week, Magaly will invite us to write poetry or prose inspired by Grace Lee Boggs’s quote, “We can begin by doing small things…”

15 comments:

  1. Oh no... wish you a speedy recovery, Rosemary. Take care. And a coincidence fiding an erasure prompt soon after I attempted my first erasure poem. It wasn't from one of my old poems...but erasure it is!! Hope to see you back on the trail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank. you for the prompt Rosemary - I hope you feel better soon - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you're ill. Hope you have a mild case. I had it last year, and even after four vaccines it was the sickest I'd ever been. Take care of yourself. I love erasure poems, and doing them with my own poems was fun. Yes, plural. I couldn't stop once I started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you're sick with the virus and do hope you're feeling better soon, Rosemary. Funny, I've been reviewing my "old' poetry, too. With fresh eyes new insights emerge. Sometimes I cringe and on odd occasion think I did well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim here. Glad you're on the upside of COVID. Now you can count your losses with the rest of us. Maybe brag about it's leaving. It took my senses of taste and smell. I've been drippy at the nose, throat, and mouth ever since. Also I'm in loss of memory more, names of places and people.. And MORE FORGETFUL!!
    Hoping you'll recover better than I did.
    Ji.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get well soon Rosemary...there is a lot of it going around at the moment during this exceptionally cold and wet winter. Take care !...Rall

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.image-verse.com/beautiful-being

    ReplyDelete
  8. Above is the link to the poem “Beautiful Being”, which I’d written five years ago to a prompt from “Toads” — which was the root source for this new poem, “Hearthaw”. I dropped it from 186 words down to 169, did key edits to what l retained, converted it into a new form of 8-line verses which uses a 6 & 8 rhyme scheme, and also created two original pieces of art to go along with “Hearthaw”.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and good wishes. I am gradually getting better. Doing a lot of sleeping! Hope to catch up with your links over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally got around to posting my own link! And ready to start reading others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this experiment. I must try it again. Off to read your entries, right now!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.