Friday, January 26, 2024

Friday Writings #111: What would your ghost come back for?

 

  Greetings, dear Wordsmiths.

 


 

I'm inspired today by re-reading Walter de la Mare's Fare Well: a poem which has captured my imagination since I first encountered it in my teens. Exhorting its readers, in beautiful, musical rhythms, to appreciate the beauties of the world while they have life to do so, it asserts that it's  the appreciation of previous viewers which bestows that beauty, and that ours will do so for people to come.


It's not so much that rather complex conclusion which has me love the poem; it's more the list of lovely things which the poet has cherished in the natural world, which he ardently desires shall live on for others after him to enjoy too. 


These days we contemplate a world which may be ending, at  least for human life – indeed has already seen the extinction of many other forms of life. But at this point we don't know for sure that our world will end, indeed can't know until / unless we're still around to witness that happen. Reversal of the process may seem unlikely, but is not yet certain to be impossible. Governments may seem slow to take the necessary steps, but many scientists are working hard on possible solutions and already putting some into practice, e.g. researching ways to deal with plastic pollution in the oceans.


Meanwhile, there are still many beauties, many joys, many delights to cherish. 


All this got me pondering. Imagining that the world might go on forever after all, or at least for a very long time to come, yes I'd hope that people to come would love it as I have done – but I also like to imagine how lovely it would be to visit it again myself, as a disembodied spirit, to re-experience favourite things, favourite places (a beautiful landscapes, a loved old home ...) or even favourite people? Will you join me in this nostalgic fantasy??

 



I had trouble finding any ghost pictures freely available. Instead, I'm using 
one of my own photos of the kind of beauty I'd love to be able to revisit.


I'm thinking of a pleasurable, private kind of 'haunting,' undetectable to the living. But perhaps some of you would like to come back to redress old wrongs? Or maybe stop wars? Prevent disease? Or even enact revenge on someone, if only by scaring them witless?

For this week's optional prompt, please let your mind wander among such possibilities and tell
us, if you were to come back as a ghost after you die, what place or person or situation would you most like to haunt – er,  revisit?

 

Please post your writing to your blog and link us in (below) to that post. Only one post per person, please, of 369 words or fewer, old or new, poetry or prose, on topic or not.  You may link to us on your blog too, and leave us a message below if you wish.


Next week, Magaly will invite us to write poetry or prose that includes a silver lining, or an advantage that comes from a difficult or unpleasant situation.


11 comments:

  1. Good day, poets & storytellers!

    I think it is a very interesting prompt, to write about what if one can come back as a ghost. Definitely something to think about and write. Something I may attempt later. Today, it's another poem about loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I look forward to reading what you might come up with later, and loved what you gave us this week.

      Ha ha, so interesting a prompt that people are slow to respond to it! Perhaps it requires more than a week's thought. Or is it because we are all wrestling with extreme weather? I see Northern Hemisphere friends online mentioning snow; here we are in extreme heat. I'd rather have hot than cold, but this latest is uncomfortable!

      Delete
    2. No, not really, I am busy with other things. And the Lunar New Year is coming soon. I have had some encounters with the "unexplained" in the past, so it's a good subject to write about.

      The weather over here is erratic too. Today is scorching hot. A couple of days back it rained the whole day.

      Delete
    3. I believe that many of us have had 'encounters with the "unexplained" ' and it's more common than we think, but most are afraid to admit it for fear of being thought delusional and so there becomes this huge conspiracy of silence. Though perhaps more people are willing to entertain that reality nowadays.

      Delete
  2. I believe you are right Rosemary .... I have pondered the better part of this weekend about what I might revisit as a ghost [family reads my poems, not wanting to slight any one of them] ... what to do what to do? Best I focus on landscapes?? Promise I will come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Helen, didn't mean tio cause you such a dilemma. But how lovely that you have family members keen to read your poems. Not all poets are so blessed.

      Delete
  3. I didn't write to the prompt yet this week but still making the rounds for some ghostly vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Ollie reads this. I am unable to leave a comment on his blog. Also Amy has brought to my attention than she cannot access my blog as well....so apologies if anyone else is having problems....I am unable to sign into my blog (google )....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How extremely annoying! I will let Brother Ollie know (if I can!)

      Delete
    2. Thank you - I hope it all get sorted soon!

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.