Friday, January 12, 2024

Friday Writings #109: Rizz

I was told that my “words are retro”. This happened after I confessed to a friend (and her 19-year-old child) that I didn’t think I’ve ever used any of the terms Oxford University shortlisted for 2023: Swiftie, de-influencing, beige flag, rizz, heat dome, prompt, parasocial, situationship. You’re probably saying, “But Magaly darling, you use the word “prompt” every week!” Well, not really—my prompt usage has little to do with AI.

So, in order to de-retro my words a bit, for today’s prompt, dear Poets and Storytellers, my vintage vocabulary and I invite you to write poetry or prose which includes the Oxford word of the year for 2023: rizz, an informal noun, defined as “style, charm, or attractiveness; the ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner.”

Required: Post the response to your blog, and add the direct link to that post to Mr. Linky. One post per person, please, 369 words maximum (excluding title), for prose and for poetry.

Optional: You may share old or new pieces, in poetry or prose, and you may write to the prompt or to a topic of your choosing.

Requested (not compulsory but strongly recommended): Visit other writers and storytellers. Read their contributions. Share your thoughts on their words.

for next week, our dearest, and not nosy at all, Rommy will invite us to write about an obscure bit of knowledge that fascinates us.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you, Magaly, for introducing this real nice word. I enjoyed the reading, I do hope that a lot will follow your prompt. My poem might be a little risqué though towards the end. Mrs. Jim asked a critical question that, or others folk might also have about the subject. I wanted it to cause folk to think, but she likes to get things done. I just told her my thoughts when I carefully wrote the Note, a repetition of what is in the short note.
    Hoping all had a nice New Years experience and now,
    HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very intriguing! I can't wait to read it.

      I hope you and Mrs. Jim have a fantastic New Year.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know, right!? Language is always evolving... Sometimes I feel like I'm not catching up as promptly as I'd like.

      Delete
  3. When I googled Bing for a check on the word, it and ai told me, "The word “prompt” has its origin in the Latin word “promptus,” which means “visible, apparent, evident, at hand” 1. The adjective form of “prompt” was first used in the early 15th century to mean “ready, prepared (to do something), quick to act as occasion demands” 1. The noun form of “prompt” was first used in the early 15th century to mean “readiness” 1. The meaning “hint, information suggested, act of prompting” is from the late 16th century 1. I hope this helps!"
    So you were correct by a century, but these have been around for over nine and eight centuries.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love it how language changes with the times? It's one of the reasons why I collect old dictionaries. I love reading the old definitions, and comparing them to the new ones.

      Delete
  4. I worked in a bit of rizz on a recent piece. Hope I rizz’d it right.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.