Sunday, October 11, 2020

Writers’ Pantry #41: “for her unmistakable poetic voice”

Greetings, dear poets and storytellers. I hope you, your muse, and your loved ones are doing well and staying safe. Things are getting tricky again in parts of New York Citytoo many people still think that a facemask is something that happens to, um… other people (I wonder what idiot put that idea in their heads). As you might’ve already figured out, COVID-19 is starting to spread again. This frustrating knowledge keeps finding its way into my ink, and I don’t like it. 

But there have also been great things in the news (and thank goodness for that). For instance, I can’t stop smiling when I hear people talking about Louise Glück, in the news or on the phone. Yesterday, I was all grins when a friend called and said, “Magaly, I just sent you a get-well poetry book. It’s by this year’s Nobel Prize winner. Shes a poet!” My bookish gift hasn’t arrived yet. But I’ve been enjoying Glück’s poetry around the Web, and smiling anew every time I remember the excitement in my friends voice. 

Here is a bit of Glück:

The mist had cleared. The empty canvases
were turned inward against the wall.

The little cat is dead (so the song went).

Shall I be raised from death, the spirit asks.
And the sun says yes.

And the desert answers

your voice is sand scattered in wind.

— “Afterword”, by Louise Glück

Now, let us bring our voices together and open today’s Writers’ Pantry. Add the direct link to your contribution to Mr. Linky. Let your words be new or old, we’ll love them all. One entry per participant, please. If you choose prose, the word count should be 369 words or fewer. And as always, visit other writers, experience their words, share your thoughts on the feels.

- for next Wednesday’s Weekly Scribblings, our Rommy would like us “to consider the question ‘What’s the price?’ when plying your pen.”    


Be well. Be safe. Delight in words.

Louise Glück, circa 1977
via

Louise Glück, by Katherine Wolkoff
via


18 comments:

  1. Thanks, Magaly, for hosting – and with this brilliant news. Being more poet than storyteller myself, I think it's wonderful a poet has won the Nobel again. Though I know this poet by name, I realise I've never read any of her work. Obviously time to do that! And a perfect time to do so, as clearly she must have a substantial body of great writing to qualify for this, let alone win it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't alone, Rosemary. I had never read anything by her, so I was glad to receive a collection of her first books. I've been enjoying it very much.

      Delete
  2. I too have been reading more Louise Glück poems since I heard the news - and I will read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful inspiration this week, Magaly. I remember being so awed at having a Nobel Prize winner for a speaker in one of those meetings in grad school, but this, a Nobel in Literature is double the admiration. Like Rosemary I have never read Gluck. Well, time for that now. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand the awe. I remember when Mario Vargas Llosa--winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2020--came to my school. He discussed his acceptance speech and we got to ask questions. It was so thrilling.

      Like you, I had never read Glück. So, we shall get to delight in her words at the same time.

      Delete
  4. Mistake made entering, will you pretty please delete?

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's great that a Nobel literature winner is a poet. yes, don't remember reading her works, now is a good excuse to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to find a good (or a bad) excuse to read more books. :-D

      Delete
  6. That the Nobel Prize winner is a poet is a big cause for celebration, and an encouragement to keep writing. I will be catching up with Glück's writings as I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe. Happy Sunday

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great inspiration! I need to get some of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to say, I can access Rosemary's current contribution from her link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried it and it worked for me. How odd. See if copying and pasting the actual link works for you:

      https://enheduannasdaughter.blogspot.com/2020/06/hello-earth-7.html

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.