Sunday, February 2, 2020

Writers’ Pantry #5: A Tiny Light at the End of the Plastic Tunnel

Greetings, poets and storytellers and lovers of ink all around. I hope this day (and the ones to follow) are good to you and yours. In my bit of the world, things are as messy as ever. But they are—v e r y s l o w l y—starting to get better.

On March 1st, 2020, New York’s Bag Waste Reduction Law goes into effect. Yes, I smiled as I typed that sentence. And I’ve continued to smile every single time I think of the words and their implications. I know that the addition of one more state to the Bring Your Own Bag initiative won’t fix our world’s pollution problems, but… every tiny little bit counts, doesn’t it?

Announcements and Reminders:

- looking for another easy way to follow this blog? Well, then this is your lucky day. Go ahead and follow us with Bloglovin’.

- the topic for the next Weekly Scribblings is “A Mouthful of Flowers”, where Sanaa invites us “to write while inspired by flowers. Feel free to associate them with memories, to romanticize, to go dark or sombre, to press them neatly between pages.”

- last Friday was Wild(er) than usual. Yep! In her latest Moonlight Musings, Rosemary tells us exactly how she feels about “homilies masquerading as poetry”. If you can, take a moment (or three) to read the comments as well. They are… a rather illuminating melting pot of perspectives.

So, now that I’m done flinging my plastic-bags-are-the-scum-of-the-universe views and sharing this week’s announcements and updates, I should probably invite you to jump into the 5th Writers’ Pantry. This is an open link event, so please share a poem or a story or a letter or an article or slice of life… Your contribution can be old or new. If your muse is in a prose state of mind, then your contribution should be 369 words or fewer. Feed the link to your poetry or prose to Mr. Linky. Visit other lovers of words. The Pantry shall stay open until Tuesday night.   

via
because a bit of clean humor never hurts

18 comments:

  1. Well, that may be a tiny light, but I think it's also great! I pray that the getting better – needed in that and so many other ways – may be fast enough. Thanks for hosting, and for finding and sharing a piece of good cheer, on both practical and emotional levels.

    Sorry, my poem is not exactly cheerful – but does, perhaps, offer a glimpse of hope. (Then, of course, it's only a fantasy after all.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I join my wishes and hopes to your prayers, Rosemary. I think the world--and its creatures--need all the energy it can get.

      Delete
  2. Morning Everyone! I hope all is well on your side. On my side...I’m struggling with time management, and rather slow with both writing and reading. And so, I apologize in advance, if I take long to read your entries. But sure thing, I’ll be reading you.

    And Maga, all the best with your “Bring Your Own Bag initiative". And you are correct every tiny little bit counts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khaya, time management issues seem to be a bit of a pandemic these days. I, too, keep on falling behind on my reading of blogs and other things. But it's good to know that we'll get there... eventually.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Happy Sunday, i await the day when they bring bag those LARGE brown paper bags to the grocery stores

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillena, the large brown paper bags will be one of the options for people who might forget to bring their own. They will be selling them for 10 cents.

      Delete
  4. “a mouthful of flowers” ... love that

    We use our grocery bags as trash bags. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanaa sure has a way with phraseology, doesn't she?

      I hope using plastic bags as trash bags counts, because we do the same thing at the moment.

      Delete
  5. No plastic bags in stores in Vt. and 5 cents a bag discount in our local grocery store (Center Harbor, NH)for every bag (non-plastic) you bring in for your purchases.
    Good morning! Will catch up with the creative words here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always amazes me how many people still push a cart out of the store overflowing with plastic bags. Aldi's has been charging people for bags for a long time but a nasty rumor has it that they're being swallowed by Whole Foods. I wasn't going to link my Sunday poem to this upbeat post but decided it, too, a slice of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm as perplexed as you are about the bag situation. In my house, we've been bringing our own bag for a very long time. It's not all the difficult, so you'd think more people would do it. Well, now they don't really have a choice.

      One of the most wonderful details about this community, Yvonne, is that we get to share the good and the not so good (in poetry and in life). It creates balance, I think. I like to believe that it reminds us that even when things are gloomy, there are bits of light... somewhere. And goodness knows we need the bright.

      Delete
  7. Hope everyone has a happy, peaceful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for cute tote bags then! I wonder if Philly will pass a similar law someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we get lucky, the whole country will... one of these days. Fingers crossed, right?

      Delete
  9. Every tiny thing helps...My oldest daughter is all about reducing trash/plastic.
    This is her program with the TCEQ https://backthebay.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impressive! I love the tips page. Every bit helps.

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.