Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Weekly Scribblings #6: Turn Cliché into Poetry or Prose

I was running on my trampoline, when my fairy godchild (her chosen label, not mine), called to ask, “Where’s cliché?” And I, most likely influenced by the fact that the end of my workout was near and I was tired enough to drop, responded, “Cliché is where exhausted phrases go to die.”

The exchange was jumping around my skull, when the time for coming up with a topic for the 6th Weekly Scribblings started to breathe down my neck. I remember thinking, Hey, why not go all Mary Shelley on clichés and ink a bit of resurrection? And that, my dear poets and storytellers, is what inspired today’s prompt: Turn Cliché into Poetry or Prose. Take one cliché, two clichés, three clichés, or as many clichés as you like and turn them into new poetry or prose (stories, articles, letters…).

Feel free to use your chosen cliché(s) as a foundation for your poetry or prose. Or make them part of your contribution, literally. The choice is yours. As always, if you go for prose, your piece should be 369 words or fewer. Let the resurrecting of phrases begin!



Follow this link to the “The Internet’s Best List of Clichés”.

Please feed the direct link to your poem or prose piece to Mr. Linky. Remember to visit other poets and storytellers. This prompt will remain open until Friday at 11:00 am.

26 comments:

  1. They are all good clichés, lol. It should be a fun Midweek.

    But I was influenced by another which has been very prevalent in my circles in the recent troubled times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't look at the list when writing my poem either, so... *hehehe*

      Delete
  2. Tall, Dark, and Handsome.
    Two out of three ain't bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wormy words took me on the fun route with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun prompt. Got me thinking about how and when and which clichés I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found myself doing the same thing, especially after I noticed that many phrases I've used made the list.

      Delete
  5. "Clichés are clichés for a reason." That's another cliché. :D
    Hi, word artists! I'll be slowly reading you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So true. They are attractive little scoundrels.

      Delete
  6. Thoughts are swimming with love clichés for the soon to be here Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I didn't even think about that. You are so right.

      Delete
  7. I think I really didn't do justice but since I was "sitting here watching the four walls" :I put my finger, using my Galaxy smart phone, to work." Oh yes, I was "multitasking", watching the New Hampshire voting results on CBS News. Thanks, Magaly, "Good Job."

    ReplyDelete
  8. How FUN. I improved a poem I wrote for Kerry! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice prompt. Happy Wednesday

    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the prompt... I needed to conjure my snark so pity party won't grow roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, your snark magic conjures winged forests of thought.

      Delete
  11. This was such a fun prompt. I enjoyed your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a little late in responding and reading other's work. Winter decided to give us another kick in the backsides. Well, that and life sometimes has other plans for us, doesn't it?
    I have work to do in order to get caught up. Thanks for the prompt, Magaly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life and winter always keep their own schedule. All we can do is live (and wait, sometimes).

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.