Friday, March 1, 2024

Friday Writings #116: Lasting Impressions


“People will walk in and walk out of your life, but the one whose footstep made a long lasting impression is the one you should never allow to walk out.”
~ Michael Bassey Johnson

Wonderful advice, unless… the long-lasting impression in questing is a terrible one. Can you imagine trying to hold on to someone who scarred your soul and/or spirit? I would kick that person so far out of my life that the dirt under my boot won’t even remember that they ever existed. But what about those individuals whose actions/words touch us in ways that shape our lives and souls for the better? I have one (or three) of those in my life—some have passed away, others remain in the world of the breathing, both occupy the warmest places in my heart.  

For today’s optional prompt—birthed out of the mind of our dearest Rommy—I invite you to write poetry or prose about someone who made an impression on you as a child (for good or ill).

Required: Add the direct link to your response to Mister Linky. One post per participant, please, 369 words maximum (excluding title), for prose and for poetry.

Optional: You may share old or new pieces of poetry or prose, and you may write to the prompt or to a topic of your choosing.

Requested (not compulsory but strongly recommended): Visit other poets and storytellers. Read their contributions. Share your impressions on their words.

for next week, Rosemary will ask us to write sensual poetry or prose about an item of clothes (in case you are wondering, the answer is yes: my immaturity and I are totally giggling. We can’t wait to read what spills out of this one).


(some impressions’ claws are sharper than others
*cough*)
photo by Jasper Garratt, on Unsplash

13 comments:

  1. Good Morning Magaly, Nice to catch up with you here again as well. Thanks for what you do and the opportunity to be putting our writing out there and not least to catch up with others creativity too. Looking forward to more inspiring reading today from my fellow scribes to help freshen my perspective, ready for the Springtime. As you know this latest new piece of mine much sweeter than the last somewhat more challenging effort. Just as the mood takes me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly use some "much sweeter", so thanks in advance.

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say such a brilliant and tender write about her Granddad from Rall today - brought tear to my eye... But struggled to leave a comment. Similar technical issue at my end with Jae Rose's piece about sisterhood, which I also very much enjoyed... Thank you both...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Blogger accounts have been giving me problems, too. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Magaly. ....Rall.

      Delete
  3. Sorry still being dozy this morning - these thoughts are from Scott - have a lovely weekend everyone... I've enjoyed my time here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard your voice in the words, but thanks so much for adding your name.

      Delete
  4. Good Morning Magaly. May I link to a piece on my blog just published in the Flapper Press? I don't want to do anything inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody ever left a bigger impression on me than my mother.

      Delete
    2. Me too. There are so many amazing writers and poets who hang out here:)

      Delete
    3. Congratulations on the well-deserved publication, Yvonne!

      Delete
    4. Thank you Rosemary for your support!

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.