Friday, January 10, 2020

Wild Fridays #1: I Wish I'd Written This


I Am Back to Open the Old Pages

Suddenly I welcome myself back.
The reference point is no longer seen,
and last night’s dream is full of illusory images.
The walls that help stop the winds and the rain
have formed a corner of warm space.
The flickering candles
evoke the incense perfume of a New Year’s Eve.
It rains.
Inside the house, dinner is served.
A few leaves of coriander
bring back the forms of the homeland.
Suddenly all frontiers are removed
just because of the midday storm,
and everything is revealed.
Isn’t today’s sun the same as yesterday’s?

Birds seen against the color of the purple evening.
The two ends of time join
and tenderly push me
into a new opening.
The curtains of the evening,
destined to catch space,
suddenly become weeping willows.
Clouds are calling each other
to meet at the mountain’s summit.

I am back. I find myself opening the old pages.
The blazing sunset has burned up all certificates.
Wordy mantras have proven to be powerless.
The wind is blowing hard.
Out there at the end of the sky,
the flapping wings of some strange bird.
Where am I?
The point of concentration is remembrance.
The real home is childhood with its grassy hills.
The violet tia to leaves
contain an Autumn that is fully ripe.
Your small feet treading the path
are like drops of dew on young leaves.
My letters sent to you
are like the church bells.
A golden sky of flowers is contained in a mustard seed.
I join my palms
and let
a flower bloom
wonderfully in my heart.

By Thich Nhat Hanh

from Call Me by My True Names: The Collected Poems. 




This poet would be a well-known name to many of you, I think – though best known as a Buddhist priest and teacher.

(I have it on good authority that his name is pronounced as in the English spelling Tick Nah Tarn, with the first and third syllables stressed.)

Plum Village, the website of his ‘mindfulness practice centre’ of the same name in the south of France, says of him:

Zen Master Thich Nat Hanh is a global spiritual leader, poet and peace activist, revered around the world for his pioneering teachings on mindfulness, global ethics and peace.

The section on his life story quotes him as saying, ‘Our own life has to be our message’ and adds:

Ordained as monk aged 16 in Vietnam, Thich Nhat Hanh soon envisioned a kind of engaged Buddhism that could respond directly to the needs of society.
He was a prominent teacher and social activist in his home country before finding himself exiled for calling for peace.
In the West he played a key role in introducing mindfulness and created mindful communities (sanghas) around the world. His teachings have impacted politicians, business leaders, activists, teachers and countless others.

Wikipedia tells us that in the sixties he taught courses, at different times, at Princeton, Columbia and Cornell Universities.

In 1967 Martin Luther King nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize (but some of the conditions for nomination were breached and the prize was not awarded that year).

We are told that Thich Nat Hanh has published over 100 books, including The Miracle of Mindfulness and Peace is Every Step, which are described as classics. 



This book (the ebook version) was a Christmas present to myself. I read the title poem somewhere and decided I wanted more. The title poem is wonderful, but I suspect it is well-known. I know that if you Google it you’ll find it easily, whereas this one isn’t so easily found and may be new to you.

And it seems to me that, although Thich Nat Hanh is Buddhist – a Buddhist monk, in fact – the reflections and reminiscences in this poem would resemble what many of us have experienced recently with family gatherings for Christmas or Hannukah. I expect that, whatever our spiritual traditions, we are all conscious of New Year’s Eve, which he mentions. I’m sure many will also relate to his nostalgia for the childhood home.

He suggests that things in the present are perhaps not so great:

‘Wordy mantras have proven to be powerless.
The wind is blowing hard.’

We can relate to that too! There are the personal losses and traumas which many of us have suffered. Grief is a very individual journey. At least we have poetry and stories to help us through – the catharsis of our own and the comfort of others’. Good friendships help too, not least the online bonds we forge through groups such as this. Then there are the ongoing global crises of various kinds, the apparent inadequacies of governments to address them well, and the deep anxieties they cause. I admit that I personally have been writing some unusually (for me) despairing poems lately.

Yet also there are scientists and activists working constantly for solutions to our unprecedented problems; activists, educators and journalists working hard to make people aware of the desperate needs and how to address them; and already some particular solutions to particular parts of the mess are being implemented. It’s hard to avoid despair, but I believe we must resist feeling helpless. I think it’s important to find what oases of joy and peace we can, not only as urgent respite, but to give us the strength to go on.

Hopefully the pleasures of family, home, tradition and nostalgia – or at least our fond memories thereof – can fortify us against whatever trials we face in the coming year.

Let’s read the poem one more time, and return a moment longer to that ‘corner of warm space’.

************

After preparing this post well ahead of time, I visited Sherry’s last prompt for 'imaginary garden with real toads' and found her making similar points very strongly, with a particular focus on the planetary crisis we face, and pointing us to some powerful possibilities for continuing to address it. If you haven’t read that yet, please do.


Material shared in this post is presented for study and review. Poems, photos, and other writings and images remain the property of the copyright owners, usually the authors. The picture of the book cover is used according to Fair Use. The photo of Thich Nhat Hanh is shared under Creative Commons Licence: CC BY-SA 2.0


20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this poem, Rosemary, and for the interesting background information. There is so much to comment on. I was drawn to the warmth, especially in the lines:
    ‘The walls that help stop the winds and the rain
    have formed a corner of warm space.
    The flickering candles
    evoke the incense perfume of a New Year’s Eve.’
    I also like the idea of returning to old pages and the sound conveyed in:
    ‘Your small feet treading the path
    are like drops of dew on young leaves.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim, for your detailed comment.

      I think I particularly love 'The real home is childhood' – such a profound truth, one of those obvious once stated – and the final four lines (with the unusual but perfect line breaks enhancing the meaning).

      Delete
  2. What struck me was how the nostalgia was open to embracing some aspects of the now (the child's footsteps were an especially lovely detail), and the future (the blooming of the mustard seed). There's sadness, yes, but there is hope here too. There is much to love in the now and much to hope for in days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sometimes the now is scary or horrible or both – yet there are always things to love, both in the natural world and in people at their best. (I am thinking particularly of the heroes fighting our fires, and the many who are donating funds and goods to help the dispossessed.) And if all else fails, there are, as he points out, our remembered joys.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this poem, Rosemary, and for your spot on commentary. I really love how you start by pointing out that the world can be a very hostile place, where "The wind is blowing hard". But, if we look for better, if we feel for (and with) each other, then we can find the "corner of warm space" that can keep us and the world from unraveling.

    After reading your post, I went in search of one of his books to read. I'm extremely happy to say that my local library seems to have a great number of them. I'm starting with You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment. The title just caught me. Your wonderful suggestion will be next.

    Again, thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lovely! So glad to have introduced you to some reading treats. (Smile.)

      Delete
  4. I love this:
    “The real home is childhood with its grassy hills.
    The violet tia to leaves
    contain an Autumn that is fully ripe.
    Your small feet treading the path”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Rosemary for the inspirational poem by Thich Nhat Hanh💝 I am in absolute awe of his work! Especially love;

    "The curtains of the evening,
    destined to catch space,
    suddenly become weeping willows.
    Clouds are calling each other
    to meet at the mountain’s summit."

    I shall be searching for the e-book online!💝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed – and that you'll be enjoying still more.

      Delete
  6. "A few leaves of coriander
    bring back the forms of the homeland"

    A second read through is what most poems deserve and this one for sure. I enjoyed it more the second time through and am enchanted with "I welcome myself back..." To go back through a journal, diary, or old letters and relive them - rethink them, revisit loved ones... Thank you for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, this one certainly bears re-reading. I love its quality of quietness, and each tiny but vital detail.

      Delete
  7. I am reading a book called "Holy Envy" by Barbara Brown Taylor in which she mentions Zen Master Thich Nat Hanh. Then I read your post. When those kinds of coincidences happen it makes me take notice. I love this poem you share and want to read more. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we miss so much when we don't take time to reflect on the past. I have so much tragedy in my childhood, yet there is so much hope and beauty in the comfort and teachings of nature as I found ways to survive trauma. Thank you so much for the introduction to the poet. He will certainly be one I will be reading this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tragedy as such, but I had a difficult childhood, and for me also the beautiful natural world I was blessed to grow up in was a great escape, comfort and sanctuary.
      I'll be reading more Thich Nhat Hanh this year, too, having so recently discovered his writings.

      Delete
  9. Thankyou for this. I was unaware that he was also a poet. A timely reminder, as I begin to rewrite a memoir, that it's all a circle, and memory dwells in the senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for this lovely comment! Yes, smell is particularly evocative, I think ... those coriander leaves he mentions. Also I have sometimes been able to recapture elusive memories by focusing on one visual image that's still clear

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.