Friday, August 16, 2024

Friday Writings #140: Things That Aren’t So Scary (anymore)

 


I’m not scared of much these days. This might be a peculiar thought coming from the mind of someone who has lived with obsessive compulsive disorder for as long as she can remember. But it’s still the truth. I don’t think of the things that trigger my compulsions as “scary”. They are disgusting, inconvenient, and can be debilitating, but not exactly frightening.  As a child though, I was terrified of the dark; or, more precisely, of finding someone I cared about hurt or dead… in the dark. Weirdly specifically, isn’t it? I think fears are like that—personal.

And since getting personal about fears (alive or conquered) isn’t the most fun thing anyone (okay, I) can think of doing on my own, for this week’s optional prompt, our dearest and totally awesome Rommy asked me to invite you to create poetry or prose inspired by things that aren’t so scary (anymore).

Please, add the direct link to your response to Mister Linky. One post per participant. 369 words maximum (excluding title), for prose and for poetry. You may share old or new pieces of poetry or prose. You may write to the prompt or to a topic of your choosing. Do visit other poets and storytellers. Read their contributions. Comment on the things (people?) they no longer find so scary.

for next week, Rosemary will invite us to write on being bound and/or breaking free.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Magaly - Jae (came in at 368 words!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JR, Google won't let me comment on your blog because somebody thinks they can bully me into authorizing extra cookies that way, but I read your poem this week and like it. It looks like a breakthrough.

      PK

      Delete
    2. How cool, Jae Rose! I always have to trim when I go long. It's always very satisfying when one gets close enough... without going over.

      Delete
  2. Got to share my poem after a long time.
    Thank you so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.