Friday, October 6, 2023

Friday Writings #97: October!

 


Hello, word artists and admirers! Rommy here and I'm swapping in for Magaly this week. She tells me the topic is October, which suits me just fine. Although October has taken on some complicated connotations for me (this is the month I lost my first corgi, a close friend to ALS, and my father-in-law) it's always been a month of striking beauty and joy too (the birth of Darling Eldest and my husband's birthday too). Like one of my favorite literary characters, I adore this month and try to spend as much time as I can outside to get better acquainted with its beauty. 


So yes, this week's optional prompt is to be like Anne and take inspiration from the month of October. Poetry and prose are welcome, as are fiction and non-fiction. Just keep your posts to 369 words or fewer and one entry per person, please.

Next week, Magaly will be back, asking you to be inspired by one (or more) of the four classical elements: earth, air, fire, and water.


13 comments:

  1. Lovely excerpt from Anne, Rommy! Here of course it is mid-Spring and so far not too terribly hot. I've been out all afternoon on all manner of practical errands, and I think I've done my whole week's quota of walking in a few hours. So I'm about to sit down with a nice glass of red before having a look at what everybody has been writing.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather here is pinging around between extremes, though I'm told that we will get real cold starting this weekend.

      Delete
  2. October where I live is 'nothing to write home about', as the saying goes, so I've posted something else. lol :-) I look forward to reading other's offerings,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the clip you shared! October is the birth month for three of my four children so it is quite special! I am battling Covid right now and hope it will not sap me of my imagination .. it has taken my energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, it's Helen!

      Delete
    2. My poem reflects total positivity in our situation. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
    3. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you too, Helen!

      Delete
  4. I have proffered an October poem I wrote 3 years ago, at the beginning of the Pandemic. I have spruced it up with a new digital art piece that I created. I softened the blow by adding some Van Morrison. Hope you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous weather in Northern Michigan. I'm off to comment and visit on last week's prompt and then will start here WHY us my profile Anonymous after all this time? UGH. will try and figure that out as well! (Margaret Bednar)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ways of Blogger are a mystery indeed. I'm not sure how that happens.

      Delete
  6. October is a bittersweet beauty of a month to me. Leaves turn lovely (but it means that they'll fall), we celebrate our dead (but it means that they are gone), and so on... Still, it's my favorite month.

    Thank you for the switch. Oh, and I love the video!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.