Friday, August 4, 2023

Friday Writings #88: Cliché Away!

Hello, Word Artists and Admirers! No, your eyes are not deceiving you. ‘Tis I, Rommy, filling in for Magaly this week while she takes a wee, but much needed, break. 

*checks notes* This week we’re talking about clichés. They can be irritating to run across, but even a cliché can have a redemption arc. For this week's optional prompt I'm asking you to do just that. Breathe life into a tired old cliché by using it in an unusual way. If you'd like some ideas for a cliché to play with, look here.  


As always, fiction and non-fiction are welcome, as are poetry and prose. Please stick to one entry per person and be sure to keep your words to 369 or fewer.

Next Week's Sneak Preview: The optional prompt will be about the last time you had a good laugh or cry. 

6 comments:

  1. I wish to apologize for not following the prompt again. Time is precious here right now. I did stick an old cliché in my bottom notes. Does that count? Thank you for hosting, I will come back to read more on down this week.
    Oh yes, my mentor, Ted Kooser, via study book says that using clichés is not appropriate in the poetry field, generally.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, generally they aren't which is why the prompt is about using them in an unusual way.

      Delete
  2. Forgive me, dear friends, I'm pretty sure I'm not playing this time, despite it being a very intriguing prompt; and I probably won't get to read what most of you come up with for some time, either. I'm busy checking printer's proofs for my forthcoming trilogy, and need to give that my time and focus at present. (Yes, it's VERY exciting! Also daunting.) Maybe later in the week....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the proofing! It's such a time consuming process.

      Delete
  3. A joker like me has to turn a blind eye to clichés in humorous verse :-) Thanks for the challenge to my grey cells !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came late to the cliché party . . . because I noticed my wretched husband Caddoc beating me to it.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.