Friday, April 28, 2023

Friday Writings #74: The Act of Paying Attention

 

Hello, Word Artists and Admirers! My brother-in-law sent a link to an interview with poet Clint Smith on Steven Colbert. I'm glad he did, because although I do peek in on late night comedy from time to time, I don't often watch too many interviews. My brother-in-law had seen Mr. Smith speak in Philadelphia and he knew my love of poetry so thought I would enjoy it.

In the interview Mr. Smith says poetry is the act of paying attention. I rather like that idea, so for this week's optional prompt, I'd like you to write about the act of paying attention, in whichever way you would like to interpret it.  I'm taking poetry and prose, fiction and non-fiction. Just be sure to keep your pieces to 369 words or fewer and one piece per person please.

Next week, Rosemary will ask us to take a well-known myth or fable and write as one of the main characters (not necessarily retelling their story so much as inhabiting their skin).

 A Wee Note, from Magaly: This rather interesting post was created by Rommy (who, by the way, just had a birthday yesterday), but I will be the one hosting today.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing that video. Had never heard of this poet, but I enjoyed the poem he read. The question about whether love is the same as paying attention was interesting too, especially as he talked of writing about both love and despair. Much to process there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that part interesting too. I think when I let myself notice the little beauties of the day, I fall in love with it a little more.

      Delete
  2. I too had not heard of this poet, but was impressed by the poem he read and the things he said. Will have to check out more of his work. (Also had never heard of the movie they mention but am intrigued, and will be looking for that as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was new to me too. My brother-in-law got to see the poet in person at a venue in Philadelphia before seeing him in this clip. Considering he's local I think I have a very good shot at finding his collections at neighborhood bookshops.

      Delete
  3. You know, Rommy, I never thought of poetry like that. But after listening to him, it makes complete sense. I shall look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also thought paying attention is the beginning of so many powerful things in our lives. After all, the best way to feed any magic is to pay attention to what it likes best (and what can potentially smother it).

      Delete
  4. Thank you for bringing this writer to light here. He is so meticulous and wonderfully precise about an art form that calls on us to contemplate and not skim through awful and wondrous moments of existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that for me, focusing on those small moments and drinking in the details always helps me fall in love with life a bit more.

      Delete
  5. Content warning: This is the sad day I expected, earlier in the week. The focus of my love and attention today is a kitten that's stuck in between life and death. For those who don't mind sad topics, there's a rough unfinished attempt-at-a-poem about love and attention (for humans), which you're invited to help finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry. That's heartbreaking. I'll be keeping you and the little one in my thoughts.

      Delete
  6. This reminds me of a 'small stone', a short form of writing. The creators don't call it a form of poetry, but to me it can be. It is about paying attention to something in a short moment of time, and to write about it.

    Have a great week ahead, Poets & Storytellers! I am posting my second 'instalment' of my sijo series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I was hoping to see more of them.

      Delete
    2. I really like that descriptor, "small stone". It's sweet, but solid.

      Delete
  7. Hello all. Good to read you again. This prompt really opened something up, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, I think you must be our old friend Eric Erb. (Blogger has for its own unknown reasons been rendering people anonymous from time to time.) Lovely to see you back here!

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.