Friday, January 20, 2023

Friday Writings #60: The Visitor

 

Hello, dear Wordsmiths!

How are you settling into the New Year? Have you come back refreshed? Are you still in holiday mode?

I have recently farewelled my Firstborn after he came up from Melbourne to visit me for a few days. Thanks to COVID, it had been four years since we met in person! – though of course we have kept in touch in other ways.

We had a lovely time – some dining out, some dining in, some movies, connecting with some of my friends here, and lots and lots of talking and catching up between the two of us. As well as some excellent hugs! Here we are, looking very happy to be together. (Taken by an obliging waiter. Maybe not the most professional shot, but I think the expressions on our faces say it all.)




He also did a couple of handyman jobs I needed, sorted out some technological glitches I was experiencing, and hung the wind chimes my neighbour gave me for Christmas. (What else are adult sons for, when they come visiting?)

We did a lot of laughing, compared notes on our reading and viewing, and had some deeper discussions too. He got to check on how I'm coping with the inevitable ageing, and to observe that I still have caring friends and neighbours in case of need. I got to rediscover, with some gratification, that he continues to be a pretty good human being, and one who thinks for himself and researches the matters on which he bases his opinions. We confirmed that we generally agree on both practical and ideological politics – but I must concede that these days he is usually better informed than me on the details.

All in all, a very good reunion.

Following which, my (optional) prompt for you this week is 'the visitor' – whatever that may suggest to you.

As always – one piece per person please, verse or prose, old or new, on prompt or off, 369 words maximum (excluding title). Link to your post (not your whole blog) below, and enjoy sampling the variety of each other’s offerings.

Next week, Magaly will invite us to write poetry or prose inspired by the title of the first book we read, are reading, or will read in 2023.  


13 comments:

  1. Oh Rosemary I am so pleased you had such a lovely time with your son. It was nice to share it with you. He sounds lovely....you must be so proud of him......Rall x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rall. Yes, he is lovely, and I am very proud of him.

      Delete
  2. Life is good when there's a loving handyman son in the foreground and a lovely view in the background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, professional or not, I LOVE the picture! Your face tells a gazillion stories in it, and they are all bright and wonderful. I'm so happy you got to spend time together. It sounds like you're starting 2023 on an splendid note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magaly. It was indeed an excellent beginning to the year. (I rather love this picture myself.)

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a wonderful visit with your son. I love hearing about happy child-parent reunions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful photo of mother and son. You can see the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'll be back Sunday morning to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.