Friday, January 13, 2023

Friday Writings #59: Wheels

 


Hello, Word Artists and Admirers! I hope your 2023 has started off well. Things are a little complicated at the Driks homestead. On New Year's Eve, our corgi, Kit, was unable to use his back left leg at all (his back right leg wasn’t all that much better). We were terrified about what this meant for his future. The little guy is 12-ish, 13-ish (he’s a rescue, so we aren’t sure). Either way, that’s a pretty venerable age for a corgi.

Almost two weeks later, the good news is that Kit is a stubborn little guy. He’s gotten much better control of his basic functions and he’s even stood up and taken a couple of steps. The bad news is that he’s a stubborn little guy. He isn’t a fan of being picked up and carried, but he prefers that to the rear harness we’re trying to get him used to. As for the wheelchair I built him… he’ll go near it if I shmear peanut butter on one of the rails, but Does Not like wearing it (I’m hoping more peanut butter training will help). But today was the first day Kit realized he could move fairly quickly in his harness, so we are all hopeful that he’ll continue to get better.

So in honor of Kit and the wheelchair he is side-eyeing as I type, this week’s optional prompt is wheels. Use the word wheels or wheel somewhere in your piece. As always, I’m taking poetry and prose, fiction and non-fiction. But I’m only taking one piece per person and, please keep those pieces to 369 words or fewer.



Next week Rosemary will ask us to write about 'the visitor' – whatever that may suggest.


12 comments:

  1. Always love "Greased Lightning" (the whole soundtrack!). Fun to hear it once again :). I will be back in the morning with my coffee to read and comment. Going to watch a movie with my 15 year old son - he wants to hang with his mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been enjoying mother-son time myself, including movie watching. Very nice!

      Delete
    2. My eldest son has been watching a weapon making competition show with my husband and I. It's kind of funny what we bond over.

      Delete
  2. I've had my son visiting from interstate this week – a great joy – so I didn't write anything new, but was pleased to find something from last April which fitted the prompt (in a bit of a different way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first full week of everyone back at work has me buried under an avalanche of tasks. I am slowly digging out, but between that and Kit, finding time has been tricky for me.

      Delete
  3. We had our 13-year-old teen over this afternoon. Played a hide and seek game she had invented. Does that count? I added wheels to my Tuesday poem, guess it worked okay. It wasn't same as my start for a singleton.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could definitely work with that for Rosemary's prompt next week.

      Delete
  4. Our vet said jumping up onto our bed was hard on Adi's spine. Dunno?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for mentioning pet issues. Yes, there's likely a spinal issue going on with my Kit.

      Delete
  5. My poem refers indirectly to the wheel of fate, on which what goes around comes around. It's on the heavy side. Don't read if depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. please delete that last link. i mean to link it to this weeks. sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.