Friday, April 12, 2024

Friday Writings #122: Comfort Reads

 


Hello, word artists and admirers! While I love discovering new books, there’s nothing like indulging in a re-read of a well-loved book. I have several I like to pick up, depending on what I’m doing, where I am or what mood I’m in. For instance, when vacationing in Maine, I may reach for We Have Always Lived in the Castle or The Shining. Lately I’ve had the itch to pick up Wee Free Men again, after recommending it to Darling Eldest. It’s too soon to know if it will also be one of his favorite re-reads, but he’s enjoying the ride so far.



So for this week’s optional prompt, I invite you to write poetry or prose about a book you’ve read more than once. I’m taking poetry and prose, fiction and non-fiction. Just be sure to keep your entries to 369 words or fewer, and one entry per person please.

Next week, Rosemary will ask you to write about April.


9 comments:

  1. You can keep The Shining! So not a Stephen King fan – except for his wonderful book on writing. But I dearly love We Free Men, and now must investigate We Have Always Lived in the Castle (intriguing title).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, not everything is for everybody and that's pretty cool!

      Delete
  2. So sorry. I inadvertently ended up with two link posts here. Please feel free to take either one of them down since they both lead to the same poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things can happen! Thanks, Rob, for letting us know. Handled.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sorting it out, Rosemary. It's been a tough weekend.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for posting the links to those books, I'm going to check them out.

    Plus, I want to thank you for posting that music video.

    I love listening to my favorite types of music, and a lot of the time, I enjoy writing while listening to that music. It really uplifts my spirits when I write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". The other two I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, they are very different in tone. The Shining is by Steven King and it's a modern gothic story about a haunted hotel (and the slow mental unraveling of a man). On the surface, Wee Free Men is a fun fantasy romp about a girl becoming a witch while getting help from some cheerfully rambunctious beings. But like most things written by Sir Terry Pratchett, it has some hidden emotional depth, especially around the ideas of loss and responsibilities.

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.