Friday, December 8, 2023

Friday Writings #106: Seasonal Readings

I enjoy reading with the seasons. And my reading list is never long enough, even on days when a slightly hysterical voice in my head, howls, “When exactly are we supposed to find the time to read all these books!?” I don’t listen to that not-so-little voice (you shouldn’t either), there is always time for reading. Really. I mean, who needs sleep?

With that thought in mind (not the one about not needing sleep, but the one about reading), for today’s optional prompt, my dear poets and storytellers, I invite to write poetry or prose which contains the full title of a book you are reading or plan to read this December.

Do you have a December reading list? If so, do share it in the comments. Here is mine:

- Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett

- Krampus: The Yule Lore, by BROM

- What You Need to Be Warm, by Neil Gaiman

- Christmas and Other Horrors: An Anthology of Solstice Horror, edited by Ellen Datlow

- Dead List: The December Files, by Jesse Sprague

- The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, by Christopher Moore

- Hiddensee: A Tale of the Once and Future Nutcracker, by Gregory Maguire

Required: Post the response to your blog. Add the direct link to that post to Mr. Linky. One post per person, 369 words maximum (excluding title), for prose and for poetry.

Optional: You may share old or new pieces, in poetry or prose, and you may write to the prompt or to a topic of your choosing.

Requested (not compulsory but strongly recommended): Visit other writers and storytellers. Read their contributions. Share your thoughts on their words.

for next week, our Rommy will invite us to write about a time when we weren’t sure if we could (or wanted to) do something, but we ended up doing it anyway.

16 comments:

  1. I love reading lists :) Here's my 2023 reading list (all titles in bold, read and reviewed on my blog). https://thotpurge.wordpress.com/2022/11/30/to-want-to-find-and-perhaps-to-read/ -December reading will be Rosemary's memoir and my year-end classic pick: either The Stranger - Albert Camus or For whom the bell tolls- Hemmingway (which is better?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added The Earth Transformed to my list. And I've enjoyed both The Stranger and For Whom the Bell Tolls. I'm a bit partial to the latter, mostly because my Piano Man got me a lovely first edition for my 40th. :-D

      Delete
    2. What a great gift! Will have to read both, now :) Thanks Magaly!

      Delete
  2. Hi there dear Magaly,

    Feels good to be back here, at this time of year, especially….

    Hope this finds you well… Compliments of the season to you and all you other fine poets and writers too…

    As promised, my last poem of the year is a bit grittier than the last one published in the Autumn/Fall. Nevertheless, I hope it still resonates…

    See - ‘My Life…’ - http://www.scotthastie.com/?p=6117

    As for Christmas reading, my mind always goes to children’s classics like:
    The Snowman by Raymond Briggs
    The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clark Moore
    And The box of Delights by John Masefield

    I look forward to reading your new pieces…
    Happy reading All…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your list calls for hot chocolate and a comfy chair by the fire!

      Delete
  3. Hi all my tech skills have failed me my poem for this prompt is December seasons greetings to you all- Jae Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been struggling with Blogger too. For some reason, it doesn't let me leave comments with my phone; not even as anonymous. I updated the direct link to your contribution, Jae Rose.

      Delete
  4. I can write about this darn December rain. ugh. On my reading list to finish out 2023 is Good Night Irene by Louis Alberto Urrea and finishing An Invitation to the Party by MJ Werthman White.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had rain and a bit of snow these last few days. I've been eating a lot of hot soup.

      I'm adding Good Night, Irene to my list!

      Delete
  5. Hey Magaly, I'm reading two at once "Midnight at the Electric', Jodi Lynn Anderson and "The Mountain in the Sea" Ray Nayler", and on tap I have "The Doors of Eden", Adrian Tchaikovsky .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added Midnight at the Electric to my list. The blurb promises wondrous yumminess.

      Delete
  6. I have become caught up in the very prolific Mark Hayden's 'King's Watch' series as well as its prequels and spin-off novellas. It's a combination of detective thriller and paranormal, set in the UK (which is where its author lives). I'll spend December, and possibly part of the new year, catching up with the rest of the series. One of the many things I like about the books is how good he is as an author at inhabiting the consciousnesses of female characters, and also at making his male characters so believable and understandable to me. I also like that he doesn't take himself too seriously and neither do his chief protagonists. I am finding these books un-put-down-able, and also unpredictable – which is a rare treat for me as a reader – yet without authorial trickery. I'm glad of Kindle Unlimited, which is an ebook lending library, so I am not out-of-pocket for these treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series sounds yummy! I'm totally giving it a go. Thank you for the recommendation.

      Delete
  7. My Book Club is reading 'The Little Old Woman Who Broke All The Rules' ~~ going to have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. DUH! Forgot the part about including the book title in my poem ... which I have remedied.

      Delete
    2. The title alone sounds like fun. It reminds me of An Elderly Lady Is Up to No Good, which I found really fun too.

      Delete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.