Friday, February 18, 2022

Friday Writings #14: Monster Madness!

Hello, Word Artists and Admirers! While October might seem a more appropriate time to consider things that go bump in the night, my Valentine's Day usually includes a monster movie or two. This year my husband and I decided to switch things up a bit. We spent Valentine’s weekend facing monsters together and playing Dungeons & Dragons. It’s been the first time I’ve played in a while, and one of the rare times my husband wasn’t running a game but enjoying it with me as a fellow player. I had a blast! Have you had the chance to do something fun recently (V-day related or not)?


In honor of my return to the gaming table, I am suggesting working with the idea of monsters, either a specific one or monsters in general for those who want a prompt to play with. But as always, you’re free to follow your muse and submit a piece with any theme that speaks to you. I’m taking prose and poetry, fiction and non-fiction. Just remember, one entry per person and please keep your prose pieces to 369 words or fewer.

For those interested in working with a prompt next week, Rosemary will ask you to re-read a favourite piece of writing and then write something inspired by it. Let the word wizardry commence!





16 comments:

  1. I've never played "Dungeons & Dragons" but the grands probably could teach us. We play Clue sometimes and the youngest granddaughter always wins. We don't play Monopoly anymore because I always win that. This was a fun topic; I didn't have much time to write but I had the idea early on tonight.
    I haven't had much fun this week, I've hurt my back for no reason, hurts really bad in some positions. I pop vertebrae, kneecaps, and toes with my osteopenia. Supposedly that was gone on my last bone density test, I'll see a doctor Monday.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they find and fix what's causing the back problems, Jim!

      Delete
    2. Seconded! I hope you can get relief from the pain soon.

      Delete
    3. So sorry you are in pain, Jim. My sister who was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago has morphed into full blown osteoporosis ~~ MRI next week. In certain positions a ten pain level. Hoping you get relief soon ….

      Delete
    4. I am so sorry to hear about your sister, Helen. I hope the MRI will help the doctors figure out how to best help her.

      Delete
  2. I've never played Dungeons and Dragons, but my kids were right into it growing up, and one of them (now in his fifties) still meets regularly with a group of his friends for role-playing nights.

    I'm going off topic this week. Didn't feel like dealing with monsters, but have been dealing with haiku all month so I'm sharing some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my husband is 50 and I'll be turning 50 in April, so that sounds about right. My husband has been playing regularly since his teens.

      Delete
  3. I went the real world monster route … happy to step away after I finished it. Wishing everyone a good Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the only place I can post:
    https://purplepeninportland.com/2022/02/19/roaming-monsters/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you're still having that problem. Thanks for finding this way around it.

      Delete
    2. Er ...the only problem being that this does not take me to your post but to an instruction to check the link because it's not correct!

      Delete
  5. Never played D&D, though it always looked interesting. But I have played R&B and jazz — so that’s what I brought you t’day. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Piano Man and I spent Feb 14th day sending each other memes about Valentine's Day massacres and laughing. It was... funny. 😁

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.