Friday, January 28, 2022

Friday Writings 11: Feast or Famine

Hello, Word Artists and Admirers! I have been alternating between periods of hyper-busy activity and periods of waiting where my current work-in-progress is concerned. Writing a novel is a multi-stage process and, for me at least, it is helpful to give my brain some time off between working on it. I find that I can catch errors and inconsistencies much better that way. I am nearing the end of another big editing stage, and the quiet part may last a little longer this time while I wait for feedback. 

I’ve promised myself a celebration for when I get to that point. (I’m still figuring out what form that might take…any suggestions?) I also know that there are plenty of other words and worlds to explore inside me. So while I might not be actively working on that novel, there’s still plenty more writing I’m interested in tackling.

Because I am a mega-dork, I made a playlist of songs that reminded me of
some of the characters and themes in the novel. This song is on it.

But right now, I’m ready to open the floor to your writings. I’m taking poetry and prose, old and new pieces, fiction and non-fiction. Please keep prose to 369 words or fewer and one post per person. For those of you who would like a prompt to work with, may I suggest writing about what comes to mind after reading the phrase “feast or famine”.

Next week, Rosemary will ask us to please write about color or the absence of color. 



 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rommy, for hosting.

    Feast or famine? Oh my goodness, there are so many ways right now that we are experiencing either or both of these extremes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I think you must have great perseverance to attempt a novel! (Not to mention great inventiveness.) I expect any celebration, for you, would need to include the taking of tea!

      Delete
    2. Oh tea will 100% be involved!

      Delete
  2. This time I'm trying to be more timely!
    TGIF

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was International Holocaust Memorial Day two days ago. While its obviously not on theme, we are in need of a feast of humanity, and the grace which comes with it, I want it, we all do I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a warmer world if we could respect our fellow humans and live together in peace.

      Delete
  4. Post-novel celebration must include dancing, tea, rice, empanadas... Hm, maybe I'm just hungry right now. 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I think celebrations usually include feasting!

      Delete
    2. Rice... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. And some good empanadas might be just the thing too.

      Delete
  5. I see there is another Jim here now!! Welcome.
    My plans, like I most always get revised by circumstance, for celebrating my birthday has often been to run away. Seems I do go away but Mrs. Jim tags along.
    The biggie was more talk than anything about celebrating my retirement. After being dismissed for the last time, early I hoped also, would be going directly to a pizza place and order a pizza and a pitcher of beer, all for me alone. Turned out it was an office party for me complete with going away presents, nice brand with the college's name on the dial face.
    Much better than the one of my talking.
    Good ideas on celebrating?
    Best wishes for the book!!
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.