Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Weekly Scribblings #39: October Thrills

Greetings, word lovers. Magaly here, writing to you while high October-is-coming! fumes. In case you haven’t noticed, I might be more than slightly obsessed with the tenth month of the year. I could blame it all on the thought of pumpkin chili and skull cakes, or on the all-around overabundance of witchy hats. But that wouldn’t be fair or true, since the fact that I will get to delight in scary prose and creepy poetry happens to be just as guilty. 

I love my October in prose:

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn’t it? Look at these maple branches. Don’t they give you a thrill--several thrills?” — Anne of Green Gables, by L. M. Montgomery

I love my October in poetry:

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow’s wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
— “October”, by Robert Frost

And I love, love, LOVE it when October speaks directly to us (or, um… to April *cough*):

“October knew, of course, that the action of turning a page, of ending a chapter or shutting a book, did not end the tale. Having admitted that, he would also avow that happy endings were never difficult to find: “It is simply a matter,” he explained to April, “of finding a sunny place in a garden, where the light is golden and the grass is soft; somewhere to rest, to stop reading, and to be content.” — Season of Mists (The Sandman #4), by Neil Gaiman

I could go on and on about October, but I suspect  you already tired of my autumnal cheer and stopped reading. So, I better get to our Scribblings: for today’s prompt, I wish for everyone to create new poetry or prose inspired by anything October. Think of traditions, colors, rituals, folklore, memories of events lived in that month… and then write, link, read, and share your thoughts on the contributions of others.

As always, this prompt will stay open until next Wednesday. One link per participant, please. If you choose to delight us with prose, the word count should be 369 words or fewer. Do have fun. Stay safe and healthy. And if you have a minute (or 3), tell us a bit about your favorite month.

 

 
Go ahead, our Mr. Linky loves your words—feed him, poets and storytellers!

23 comments:

  1. My favourite month, hmmm? I love autumn best of all the seasons. Of course, for most of you October is in autumn, but for me in Australia this is Spring – a lovely season too. And in fact November, which is deep in Spring here, is my favourite month, because it's my birth month. Thanks for a rich prompt, Magaly. I went to sad places with it, but those poems need to be written too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love April for the same reasons you love October. It's my birthday month and it's gloriously springy.

      I understand going to sad places, in October. My love for the month doesn't take away the bittersweetness that comes with it being the time of remembrance for me. With the Veil as thin as it is this time of year, it's difficult not to grieve our loved ones who have crossed... even as we celebrate their lives.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful October quotes and a lovely prompt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Wednesday to all, my favourite month? well then read my poem

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. October is a busy month for this Mom ~~ three of my four children have October birthdates. 10, 13, and 14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely jealous of your child who was born October 13th. What a fun birthday that must be.

      October is busy for me, too. It's when most of my yearly health check-ups are done. At first, when I go really sick, it was really hard not to develop a dislike for the month--thank goodness for small blessings.

      I hope your children and you have a fun and creative birthday month celebration.

      Delete
    2. Son Carl born on Friday 13th. LOL

      Delete
  5. October has always been the happiest month for me. The weather starts to cool, it's corn picking time, Halloween comes, and the day before is always my birthday. Until I was old enough to help pick the corn I would ride in a two wheel trailer hooked behind our horse team pulled grain wagon riding down the rows while Mom and Dad picked the corn off the stalks.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you reasons for finding October to be a happy month, Jim. I can practically smell the corn (and imagine the mazes), and after all that you get a birthday party. Perfect!

      Delete
  6. October is MY favorite month! Really! I absolutely love the way the sun is angled slightly more in the sky. While I love the colors of the trees, and appreciate them now that I have them (I grew up in a warmer area), the colors of the harvest is even nicer.

    I had to look up Gaiman's short story, October in the Chair, because your quote featured October and April as well and I wondered if it was the same. October in the chair begins, "October was in the chair, so it was chilly that evening, and the leaves were red and orange and tumbled from the trees that circled the grove."

    Today is my first time joining your link-up. I am happy to have found it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Poets and Storytellers United, Lisa. It is wonderful to have you. I can't wait to read what you've crafted for today.

      I love "October in the Chair". It's one of my favorite short stories by Neil Gaiman. And in that story, too, October speaks pure wisdom (and April is hysterical, especially her observations about June after the airport story, lol). One of the things I enjoy most about Gaiman's writings is how his characters appear all over his works. Have you readThe Graveyard Book? There are hints of October and setting of "October in the Chair" too.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading this post, Magaly; there is not too much "October cheer."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Anne of Green Gables. I love reading it aloud to my children. :)

    And ditto—October is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a wonderful book and a magical month. Wonderful and magical have a living effect on cool people. 😊

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, Anne with an e has been one of my favourite friends most of my life!

      Delete
  9. A wonderful homage to my birth month. And I too, love my October in poetry. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason to adore October. Happiest birthday month, Khaya!

      Delete
  10. I love to ponder Autumn - my favorite month.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of all the people on this site, as each individual writer is entitled to their own opinion, style, and path to creativity.